EU ETS – LAST CALL BEFORE THE DOORS CLOSE ON THE NEGOTIATIONS FOR THE POST-2020 REFORM
Publication of the full report
Tuesday, October 10th, 2017
from 4:30 PM to 6:00 PM
Caisse des Dépôts, Gérard Bureau room
56 rue de Lille, 75007 Paris
A window of opportunity to reform the EU ETS is currently open but closing soon: the EU ETS directive is currently being revised for its Phase IV (2021-2030), and trilogue negotiations between EU institutions, started in April 2017, will probably succeed in the fall.
I4CE, Enerdata and IFPEN demonstrate in their report that the reform proposals from the EU Parliament and the EU Council are not sufficient to make the EU ETS a driver of decarbonisation in industry and energy sectors over its Phase IV (2021-2030).
The report analyzes greenhouse gas (GHG) reductions, the cost of necessary abatements, the functioning of the Market Stability Reserve and the framework of free allocation to industries. The report also examines the impacts of an exit of the UK from the EU ETS, as well as the possible introduction of a price corridor on the EU ETS.
16h30 Is the EU ETS reform sufficient to drive decarbonation in industry and energy sectors over its Phase IV?
Emilie ALBEROLA, Program Director- Industry, Energy and Climate
Synthesis of the results of the report
- Charlotte VAILLES, Project Manager, I4CE
- Cyril CASSISA, Project Manager, Enerdata
- Paula COUSSY, CO2 Markets Expert, IFPEN
Questions – Answers
17h15 Interventions of EU ETS stakeholders
- Patrick DE DECKER, Senior Coordinator « Environnement-CO2 », TOTAL
- Michel MATHEU, Head of EU Strategy, European Affairs Division, EDF
- Yue DONG, Policy Officer, EU ETS, French Ministry for the Ecological and Inclusive Transition, DGEC
The event will be held in French.