COPEC I: Exploring the EU ETS beyond 2020
COPEC I, produced jointly by I4CE– Institute for Climate Economics and Enerdata, and in collaboration with iFPEN, provides new, factual, independent and quantified analysis on EU ETS operationality by 2030, examining the necessary conditions to improve its environmental and economic effectiveness.
The COPEC I research program focused on and analysed five major challenges to the successful implementation of Phase IV of the EU ETS:
- Defining a CO2 reduction target in line with energy policies such as Renewables and Energy Efficiency,
- Implementing the Market Stability Reserve,
- Addressing carbon leakage risk through free allocation,
- Extending the EU ETS scope to include emissions from the road transport sector,
- Financing the low-carbon transition through various funding mechanisms based on auction revenues.