Global Carbon Accounts in 2021

Explicit carbon pricing systems – a tax or a carbon market – continue to develop around the world. In the 2021 edition of its Global Carbon Accounts, I4CE presents the main trends and provides an overview of these public policies: the countries that have adopted them, the sectors covered, the price levels, the revenues generated and what is being done with them. Find all this information in graphics.



The 4 trends of 2021

  1. As of October 1st, 2021, 47 jurisdictions (countries, provinces, or cities) are operating a carbon pricing scheme (carbon tax and/or an Emissions Trading System (ETS)). Together, they account for around 60% of global gross domestic product (GDP). Over the past year, two G20 countries have implemented an explicit price on carbon: China and Germany.
  2. Carbon pricing schemes generated USD 56.8 billion (EUR 49 billion) over the FY 2020-2021; a significant increase compared with the previous fiscal year (USD 48 billion). 52% of this revenue stems from carbon taxes. The other 48% of revenue comes from ETS auctions. These carbon revenues are mostly directed to national general budgets or are earmarked for specific environmental or development projects.
  3. As of October 1st, 2021, explicit carbon prices range from less than USD 1 to USD 142 (EUR 117) per ton of CO2e. Yet, more than 46% of emissions regulated by carbon pricing are still covered by a price below USD 10 (EUR 8). To stay on the 2°C trajectory while sustaining economic growth, the High-Level Commission on carbon prices led by economists Stern and Stiglitz recommends reaching carbon prices comprised between USD 40 and USD 80 per ton of CO2e by 2020, and between USD 50 and USD 100 per ton of CO2e by 2030.
  4. Together, jurisdictions with a carbon mechanism (tax or ETS) emit 60% of global greenhouse gas (GHG). This does not mean that 60% of global emissions are effectively covered by a carbon price: some sectors or populations may be exempted (totally or partially) for various reasons.
    Furthermore, fossil fuel subsidies still represent at least USD 450 billion in 2020 (see page 4).



Principal sources and useful links:


Global Carbon Accounts in 2021 Download
See appendices
  • 2021 – Global Carbon Accounts Download
I4CE Contacts
Marion FETET
Marion FETET
Research Fellow – Local authorities, Public Finance, Green Budgeting Email
Sébastien POSTIC, Phd
Sébastien POSTIC, Phd
Research Fellow – Public finance, Development Email
To learn more
  • 02/08/2024
    Money, money, money: Financing plans for the climate transition

    France should publish mid-year its first multi-annual strategy for financing the ecological transition. This is a long way from the first 2015 climate strategy, which barely touched funding aspects. And it is good news. We at I4CE believe that such plans are essential tools to support the transition to low-emission, climate-resilient economies. Credible, multi-year public spending targets help to embark the private sector and the funders of public action (debt holders, international donors) in the transition, and redirect financial flows as demanded by the Paris Agreement. Comprehensive financing plans also avoid simplistic approaches based on case-by-case project appraisal on the basis of limited cost-benefit considerations, which can ultimately result in significant additional costs.

  • 11/23/2023
    Appendix – Global carbon accounts – data 2023
  • 11/22/2023 Blog post Foreword of the week
    Carbon prices: the winds of change

    After several years of strong growth, the revenue generated by carbon pricing mechanisms (carbon taxes or markets) worldwide, as reported in our 2023 edition of the Global Carbon Accounts, stabilized at nearly USD 100 billion. This stabilization could not be more deceptive.  The future has rarely been so uncertain for carbon prices, caught between very strong opposing trends, and the next two years could mark a major turning point, for good or bad, for the use of these climate policy instruments worldwide. 

See all publications
Press contact Amélie FRITZ Head of Communication and press relations Email
Subscribe to our mailing list :
I register !
Subscribe to our newsletter
Once a week, receive all the information on climate economics
I register !